Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Scavenger of Hell

SCRIPTURE: Revelation 6:8 So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.


OBSERVATION: In this verse, death is depicted as a rider on a horse. The horse is pale, which is also the description of someone who has given in to death -- pale or ashen. it is a visible indication that life is gone. When blood ceases to course through the body, which gives life to every part of the body, that red/rosy/flush look is gone, replaced by a pale appearance. That is the description of the horse that death rides on. It is very fitting.
Hell follows along after death. Hell hopes to swallow up all of those that death captures. Like an opportunistic scavenger following after a mighty predator hoping to fill itself with the left-overs, Hell is a scavenger. Hell can only take who death conquers. Hell has an insatiable appetite.
All will face death in some from or another. Not all will face Hell. Death and Hell are not synonymous. They are not two names for one rider, but two separate and distinct realities.
Jesus said, "Upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it." The 'gates' are the judgment centers for a city. The judgments or accusations against those in His church will not prevail.

APPLICATION: I do not have to fear Death or Hell. I don't have to fear death because it is not an enemy. Those who trust in Jesus know that Death is separation from this world, an entrance into our real home. I don't have to fear Hell because it has no power or claim on me. That claim was broken by Jesus' blood. As a scavenger has no legitimate or rightful claim, Hell has no rightful claim on me.

PRAYER: Jesus, You have run off the scavenger of Hell. I can live in confidence because of Your gift. I can live in peace because of Your grace. I don't have to fear Death or Hell. I praise You. Amen.

No comments: