Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Matter to God

SCRIPTURE: Luke 12:7 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

OBSERVATION: Jesus is talking with His disciples and other followers about some very practical things. The crowds had gotten so thick that they began to trample one another (12:1). He talked about hypocrisy and secrecy and then begins to talk about fear and worry. The words 'fear' and 'worry' and 'anxiety' are used repeatedly throughout this chapter. So is the word 'value.'
In this verse, Jesus says, "Do not fear." Why? What is the reason that I don't have to fear? Because I have value. Not just value, but value to God. There seems to be a connection (an adverse connection) between fear and value. Confidence in my value reduces fear and anxiety. The lack of confidence in my value increases fear and anxiety.

APPLICATION: What if I were absolutely convinced of my high value to God? What would that do to any fear, worry or anxiety that I might face? I think we can rightly say that it would have a very great effect, and the effect would be a very positive one.
The problem is many people aren't convinced of their value to God. And why should they be? Evolution tells them that they came about as a great cosmic chance, or accidental, event. Where is the confidence there? "Do not fear therefore; ________." How do you fill in that blank from an evolutionary standpoint? You can't. There is no reason for calm or confidence. If there is no God and I don't really matter at all, I have nothing to count on. So the phobias and the anxieties pile up all around us.
I am valuable to God. That is not a point of pride or of self-worship. It is, however, a point of confidence and peace. If I matter to God, (and I do), then what do I have to fear?

PRAYER: Father, thank You for taking notice of me. You tell me to cast my cares upon You, because You care for me. I receive Your care and Your love to cast out fear and anxiety. Amen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was really blessed by your message.Just to know that I am valuable to God has made the difference in my life.I used to be so concerned what people think or say about me;now I focus on what God's word say about me. May the lord continue to bless you.Thank you.
Gary , New York

Unknown said...

Thank you for your words written months ago. My husband has abandoned us after discovery of a double life of lies he has been living for 2 years with another woman, she also deceived. He is with her now. He has had no job for 2 years...no alimony and finances are devastated. I have lost my home and my boys and I (college and high school) are in great need. My Christian school I have taught at for 8 years part-time gave the one full-time opening to a doctor's wife...I feel thrown off a cliff by them.
But I am this morning trying to remember that a God who loves me so much has allowed this out of love...that I matter to him. To have hope when all things are so bleak. That God sees me...