Friday, August 31, 2007

Vain Vision

SCRIPTURE: Ezekiel 12:24 For no more shall there be any false vision or flattering divination within the house of Israel.

OBSERVATION: False prophets were telling people what they wanted to hear, and causing them to see what they wanted to see. This may make people happy in the short term, but it is cruel and ultimately very dangerous.
  • What if, to avoid the unpleasantness of city traffic, you taped a pleasant scene of a quiet country road on the inside of the windshield of your friend's car and let them happily drive away? They would have a false vision (KJV - 'vain vision') that would end in disaster.
  • What if, to eliminate the unsightly appearance of a skull and crossbones, you removed the poison labels off of all your friend's dangerous materials? That would be doing them no favors.
This is the kind of thing that the false prophets were doing.

APPLICATION: Speak truth, not just what people want to hear. Even if it is hard to hear. "Faithful are the wounds of a friend."
I think an even more important application is about hearing from God. "Vain visions" and "flattering divination." Is my vision of God and of my life vain? Do I see only what I want to see? Am I so locked up in myself that I am not even open to broader understanding? Is my vision me-driven and me-focused or God-driven and God-focused? Am I fooling, not others, but myself? The same is true with flattering divinations. When I hear from God does it always benefit me? Am I always the hero? If so, that should be a tip-off. This is not a harsh word about pessimism and doom, but of truth and reality. I don't want to be fooled by the beautiful scene inside my windshield. I want to see things as they really are. Then when I need to make corrections, I can. When I need to hit the brakes, I can.

PRAYER: Lord Jesus, give me eyes to see and ears so hear. I know my tendency is to bend things to my advantage. I want to get it straight. Amen.

No comments: