Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Liberation of God's Nearness

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 145:18 The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.

OBSERVATION: The nearness of the Lord is a great comfort. As a child, if you have to do something of which you are unsure or a bit afraid, it is good to know that mom or dad are nearby. Just to know they are nearby makes all the difference.
A familiar scene plays out each year all over the world. On the first day of school a little boy or little girl of the house is going off to school for the first time. It is a big deal. It is a really big deal. New clothes and school supplies have all been bought, and now it is time. It is a huge new step. Along with the child goes mom or dad or both. Not to go in place of their child, but just to be there for them as a comfort and strength.

APPLICATION: God is that parent to me. He wants to be near me. he is glad to be near. And His nearness is a great source of comfort. Because of His nearness, He is available and ready when I call upon Him. It does no good to call upon Him if He is not near, and it does no good for Him to be near id I can't call upon Him. But, put those two things together and it is an awesome comfort. I can know today that anything I will face, He is near to me. That knowledge allows me to branch out and be more brave than I ever thought possible, like that child going off to school for the first time.
His nearness is not a limiter. It is a liberator.

PRAYER: Father, I am blessed by Your nearness.

No comments: