Thursday, September 13, 2007

Three Dangers for Sheep

SCRIPTURE: Ezekiel 34:31 You are my sheep, the sheep of my pasture and I am your God, says the Lord God.

OBSERVATION: This chapter could form the basis of much study on ministry and church life. The continuation of this chapter is in Matthew 9:36, where it says about Jesus, "But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. (Also, John 10)

APPLICATION: There are three perils that God's people (sheep) have to be protected from:

1- Selfish Shepherds. (v.2-10) Their shepherds were neglecting their duties to their sheep:
  • To strengthen the weak
  • To heal the sick
  • To bind up the broken
  • To bring back those driven away
  • To seek out the lost
2- Fat Sheep. (v.17-22)
  • They ate the good pasture, drank the good water
  • They trampled the remainder with their feet and fouled the water
  • They pushed with their side and shoulder
  • The butted the weak with their horns
  • They scattered them
3- The Wilderness. (v.5, 24-31)
  • The beasts of the field
  • Hunger
  • Shame
  • "Cloudy and dark days" (v.12)
PRAYER: Good Shepherd, make me sensitive to the needs of Your sheep -- those who are gathered and those who are scattered. Make me aware of my responsibilities as a shepherd and increase my ability to strengthen the weak, heal the sick, bind up the broken, bring back those driven away and seek out the lost. I need Your power for these things. I depend on You. Amen.

No comments: