Saturday, September 8, 2007

A Great Guide

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 48:14 For this is God, Our God forever and ever; He will be our guide Even to death.

OBSERVATION: God is my guide, just as He was the psalmist's guide. He is a guide through all life and even guide into death -- a death guide.
A guide is someone who knows the way and can show it to you. A tour guide points out the places of interest along the way. A guide is far better than a map, because a guide is personal. A map is impersonal. A map can be misread, but a guide keeps you from going the wrong direction (like a guide on a piece of machinery).
A guide through Israel may not be good as a guide to Paris, unless the guide has been to both places and is acquainted with both. A guide for life may not be a good guide for death, unless the guide has been to both places. Jesus is the perfect guide for life and for death.

APPLICATION: Having a guide for life and for death brings a great sense of peace. It doesn't mean that I won't face death, but I won't face it alone. David said, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me." He was speaking of a guide.
How great will it be, not just to see the wonders of heaven -- the crystal sea, the tree of life, God's throne -- but to have Jesus as my guide!
I can trust His guidance. I can have peace in His guidance, in life and in death.

PRAYER: Jesus, I receive You as my guide. I welcome Your direction. I submit to Your correction. I desire to go Your way and learn all that You have to show me. Amen.

No comments: