Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

SCRIPTURE: Ezekiel 45:20 And so you shall do on the seventh day of the month for everyone who has sinned unintentionally or in ignorance. Thus you shall make atonement for the temple.

OBSERVATION: We think of sin as intentional disobedience against God -- and it is primarily. But here scripture speaks about unintentional sin done in ignorance. Sin is offending God, acting against His design and plan. We can (and do) sin without even being aware of it. Those sins need atonement, too. When I consider the sin of my life, including the numerous sins of which I am unaware, I am even more grateful for forgiveness that Jesus gives, for my bad intentions and my ignorance. His atonement cleanses me from both.

APPLICATION: "Ignorance of the law is no defense." Even if you are not aware that murder is against the law, you still pay the penalty for it. I want to learn more about His law so that I won't violate it. And I'm more thankful than ever for His complete forgiveness. ("But I didn't mean to..." doesn't cut it.)

PRAYER: Jesus, help me to know Your law and to keep Your law. Forgive my ignorance. Amen.

No comments: