Friday, September 7, 2007

Choice for Chains

SCRIPTURE: Jeremiah 40:4 And now look, I free you this day from the chains that were on your hand. If it seems good to you to come with me to Babylon, come, and I will look after you. But if it seems wrong for you to come with me to Babylon, remain here. See, all the land is before you; wherever it seems good and convenient for you to go, go there."

OBSERVATION: Jeremiah was treated quite differently from the others who were taken from Jerusalem. Some were killed. Some were taken into captivity to serve the king of Babylon. Others (the poor) were left behind with a third-rate king to work the land and defend it, to face the dangers there. All had the decision made for them.
Jeremiah was different.
Jeremiah had the chains removed from his hands. he would not be led to some destination beyond his will. He was given assurances of 'the good life' if he continued on to Babylon. He was also given full opportunity to go back to those who were left behind. Like Moses, Jeremiah chose to work with the people of God over the pleasures in Babylon.

APPLICATION: What special treatment that Jeremiah was given! All because he had faithfully served the Lord. The chains came off and he was given a choice.
That's what Jesus has done for me and for all of us. The chains are off. he came to set the captive free. he came to give us a choice.
  • Choose His gift of eternal life or reject it.
  • Choose to be filled with His Holy Spirit or be filled with myself.
  • Choose to live His way -- by faith according to His word -- or my way.
He has traded me choice for chains. What an incredible exchange!


PRAYER: Jesus, You have dealt with me far better than I deserve. I use the choice that You have given to me to chose You. Fill me with Your Spirit today that I might live for You, with all my choices. Amen.

No comments: