Thursday, September 27, 2007

Assignment: Joy

SCRIPTURE: Luke 10:17 Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name."

OBSERVATION: This must have been a tough assignment, and one that some of them were unsure about. Jesus told seventy of His followers to go out two by two, without Him to minister in surrounding cities -- places that He was going to later.
This was tough enough. But then He said, "I'm sending you out as lambs among wolves." Not an inspiring thought.
Then, to make it even more difficult, He said, "By the way, take nothing with you. No money. No supplies." (Even on Survivor they get to take one article with them.) How were they supposed to live? Find a house, stay there, and hopefully they will feed you.
Wow. This was a tough assignment. Some must have really been freaking out. but there is still more.
"One final thing," Jesus said. "Heal the sick while you're there." What?! Heal the sick? Oh, sure. That's easy. Just do the miraculous.
So these disciples who watched Jesus but never did much on their own were to go out in groups of two, taking nothing with them, as lambs among wolves, hoping to find a place to stay (no reservations), to cities that may or may not accept them and do the miraculous? That's the assignment.
I think I would have been quaking in my boots. But they went.
They returned from this assignment with joy! This assignment was not only tough, it was a joy-giver.

APPLICATION: When I think of the ministry assignments that are before me, they pale in comparison to this one. I may think, "That will be too difficult," or even, "That will ruin my life," or, "I won't be able to do it." I'll bet these seventy had the same ideas. But, if I step out like these did, will I instead find joy beyond my wildest dreams and expectations?

PRAYER: Jesus, Here am I. Send me. Give me joy in serving You. Amen.

No comments: