Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Who's Hearing Whom?

SCRIPTURE - Isaiah 66:4 "So will I choose their delusions, And bring their fears on them; Because, when I called, no one answered, When I spoke they did not hear; But they did evil before My eyes, And chose that in which I do not delight."

OBSERVATION - I have heard many people talk about praying to God and feeling like He doesn't hear them. They wonder if their message is getting through. They may even shake their fist at God when He doesn't do what they told Him to do.
How much worse is God's case against us? against me? How many times has God spoken to us when we haven't heard Him and not done what He said? All of a sudden the contrast is rather striking and I have a new perspective. He is God and I am not. He hears me. Do I hear Him? It may not be wise for Him to do what I say but it would always be wise for me to do what He says. Do I listen? Do I obey?
I was speaking to a young girl the other day who said she couldn't pray to God or listen to Him because He seemed imaginary to her. She felt silly praying to Him. In the same breath she told me that she often, however, talked with the tree in her backyard because she could see her tree. And, apparently, the tree talked back. She knew the tree's favorite color and other detailed information.
How foolish! God has spoken clearly through His Word, through His Son and through His Spirit yet we would rather talk with inanimate trees. It reminds me of the prophets' warnings to those who carved idols and bowed down to a hunk of wood. They are foolish.

APPLICATION - Who, or what, am I listening to? It is far more important that I listen to God then He listens to me. I know that He listens to me. Do I listen to Him and obey what He says?

  • Be in the Bible. Read it. Study it. Meditate on it. Obey it. It is God's communication to me.
  • Listen in prayer. Take time not just to download to God but also stay quiet to hear Him.
  • Seek Him for direction in circumstances of life. Then proceed with confidence in His direction (Proverbs 3:5-6, James 1:5).

PRAYER - Lord, probably the most important thing that I can do is listen to You. I want to hear You. Help me. Teach me. I change my focus from being heard to being a hearer and a doer. Amen.

No comments: