Friday, August 10, 2007

Lazarus' Ministry

SCRIPTURE: John 12:11 because on account of him many of the Jews went away and believed in Jesus.

OBSERVATION: What a great epitaph! "On account of Jim many believed in Him." Wouldn't that be great?! But what did Lazarus actually do? He was a friend of Jesus who invited Him into his house. He was a part of a believing family. He became sick beyond his own ability to recover. Messengers went from him to get help from Jesus. He died. He was wrapped up and put in a tomb. When Jesus called him, he responded to His call and came out from his tomb.
Lazarus didn't do anything remarkable by his own strength. He just knew Jesus and Jesus did amazing things through him. For that reason, many believed in Jesus on account of him. Sounds like ministry.

APPLICATION: Lazarus' effectiveness in ministry was not due to his own merits but on Jesus' merits. He was Jesus' friend, Jesus raised him from the dead, he responded to Jesus' call. Lazarus was ordained to bring people to Jesus. Can the same be said of me?
What could his enemies do to him? It says that they sought to kill him. So what-- been there, done that. He didn't have to fear death. Neither did Paul. Neither do I. "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live..." Like Lazarus, I was once a dead man. I'm living on grace, each and every day. Death has no power over me.

PRAYER: Jesus, I think today about the day that You called me forth from my own death to minister to others. Not because of me, Lord, but because of You.

No comments: