Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Life Restoration

SCRIPTURE - John 2:20 Then the Jews said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?"
OBSERVATION - How impressed we are with the wrong thing! "Bigger is better." "The longer a project takes to complete and the more money is put into it the more valuable it is." This is our common way of thinking. The Jews here thought that Jesus was talking about the temple. He was talking about something far greater. The temple had been built by Solomon originally, restored by Zerubbabel and others returning from captivity, and had been undergoing a massive forty-six year reconstruction project by King Herod.
Buildings can be destroyed and rebuilt. Lives can't. At least not until Jesus came onto the scene.
Jesus can do more in a short period of time than we can ever imagine.
While I am thinking about brick and mortar, Jesus is thinking about life.
APPLICATION - Personal restoration is what Jesus is all about. There is no job of personal restoration that is too difficult for Him. Among His specialties:
  • Turning a sinner into a saint. He turns us from death towards life and gives us His righteousness.
  • Breaking the bonds of addiction. Many have been set free from all types of addictions. Many more still need to be set free.
  • Restoring broken families. I have witnessed first-hand His ability to bring love and joy back to a destroyed marriage or family relationship.

I can trust Him to restore any life situation. Only He can. Life restoration is His specialty.

PRAYER - Jesus, I am so glad that You didn't come to restore buildings but to restore lives. Thank you for restoring my life. When I look back to the work of restoration that You have done in me and in my family, I am amazed. I continue to need restoration. I know many others who need restoration. Do that restoration work. Amen.

No comments: