Tuesday, August 14, 2007

When The Time Comes

SCRIPTURE: John 16:4 But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them. "And these things I did not say to you at the beginning, because I was with you.

OBSERVATION: The nature and purpose of prophecy in general is not to predict the future, like a magic eight ball, just so that I can know things before they happen. In general, the nature of prophecy is to speak a word so that when it takes place it is recognized and not unexpected. Jesus said, "that when the time comes you may remember." Like Peter who was told that he would deny Jesus before the rooster crowed. When it happened, he remembered.
That also means something else of importance. Some of the truth that Jesus is teaching me is for now, and some is for later. Some teaching (prophetic) is time-released. It is triggered for understanding at the time when it is needed. Like the prophecy of Joel that Peter used in Acts 2, it may not make any sense at all until its fulfillment comes.
So I must learn, not just whay I need for today and what makes immediate sense to me, but I should also take in and tuck away things that, even though they have no meaning right now, will at some time. Like preparing for a long trip. You don't just take whay your hungry for right now but also take what you will eat later. Some of the truth from God's Word and His Spirit is for now, some is for later.

APPLICATION: Two main points of application:
1- I don't need to predict the future. I will recognize what I need to recognize when the time comes.
2- Tuck as much of God's Word away as possible -- not just what is needed for the moment.
This Life Journal is a great way to do that!

PRAYER: Jesus, pour Your words into me, those I need for now and those that will bring understanding later. Amen.

No comments: