Saturday, August 18, 2007

You Can Count on Me

SCRIPTURE: Jeremiah 35:18 Then Jeremiah said to the family of the Recabites, "This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘You have obeyed the command of your forefather Jonadab and have followed all his instructions and have done everything he ordered.’"

OBSERVATION: God set this whole thing up with the Rechabites to teach Israel a lesson. He had Jeremiah call them together and offer them wine because He knew they wouldn't drink it. He could count on them because they have faithfully been keeping the command of their father.
The point is: God had seen their faithfulness. He had taken note of it. He knew when He needed and illustration of faithfulness who He should call.
All of their obedience and sacrifice done in secret was fully known by God. He didn't miss a thing.

APPLICATION: I can know with a certainty that God sees my faithfulness, or lack of faithfulness. When He needs an illustration of faithfulness today, I want Him to know that He can count on me. That isn't achieved through talk, but through quiet, unseen action. Am I faithful to God and to others? Do I consistently keep the command of my Father?
  • Do I keep my word to others, even when it is difficult?
  • Do I sacrifice myself for others?
  • Do I seek applause or recognition or applause for myself, or am I willing to to serve silently?
God is still looking for faithful servants that He can count on, like the Rechabites, today. God, You can count on me.

PRAYER: Father, thank You for the illustration of the Rechabites to remind me the importance of faithfulness. I know You see and record every action done in secret. I will serve You faithfully today. Amen.

No comments: