Thursday, August 23, 2007

You Have Overcome

SCRIPTURE: 1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

OBSERVATION: Two things really stick out to me in this verse. They both deal with overcoming.
1- It is in the past tense. It says, "You have overcome." It doesn't say someday you may overcome. It doesn't even say that you are currently overcoming as if the struggles and the battle were on-going and the outcome as yet undecided. Even though John was writing due to some specific problems and struggles, in his mind they had already overcome. Being 'of God' is to have already overcome. I wonder if that was an encouragement to the people who received this letter. It should have been. It should be for me, too. I have already overcome. Giving my life to Jesus and going from darkness to light was the act of overcoming. I have overcome. I have overcome the pull of the world and the temptation to 'lean on my own understanding.' This is overcoming. It is done.
2- It was 'little children' who overcame. I think this is so cool. They weren't hulking giants or spiritual champions. Even little children in God's kingdom are overcomers. It is not an issue of personal fortitude. Imagine the littlest baby in God's kingdom and the toughest enemy. The toughest, strongest enemy doesn't have a chance in the battle against God's little children.

APPLICATION: I have nothing to be discouraged about and nothing to fear. As God's little child, I have overcome.

PRAYER: Father, Wonderful Father, all I need to know is that I belong to You. As Your little child, I have overcome. I do not rely upon my own strength. I do not rely upon my own endurance. I can take no credit for overcoming. It all comes from You and belongs to you. Amen.

No comments: