Sunday, August 19, 2007

Destruction or Punishment

SCRIPTURE: Jeremiah 46:28 Do not fear, O Jacob my servant, for I am with you," declares the Lord. "Though I completely destroy all the nations among which I scatter you, I will not completely destroy you. I will discipline you but only with justice; I will not let you go entirely unpunished."

OBSERVATION: There is an important distinction here between punishment (or correction) and destruction. It may look the same sometimes, but it isn't. We may think when we are being corrected that it is for our destruction, but there are huge differences between the two.
Destruction, as in this verse, is to bring an end to things. Punishment, on the other hand, is for a new beginning. Destruction makes something less. Punishment makes something more. Destruction makes something less valuable. Punishment makes something more valuable. Destruction removes a future. Punishment restores a better future. Destruction demonstrates wrath. Punishment demonstrates love. "For every son that He loves He chastens." Punishment is for my good. Destruction is for my harm. God says, "I will rightly punish you." His punishment is right. It is not pleasant, but it is right.
Sin seeks my destruction. The harm caused by sin is not punishment but it is destruction. I would be wise to flee the destructive influence of sin and embrace the corrective influence of God's punishment.

APPLICATION: I think God is the only One who can rightly punish. I should leave that to Him. There may be situations that a person can be used in the process, like a parent to a child, but that shouldn't be my 'ministry.' Some people in the Body of Christ may feel that they have the gift of discipline -- but it is not a gift.
How does God discipline or 'chastise?' I don't know for sure. It may depend on the sensitivity of the person being chastised. I remember with our youngest daughter you just had to look disapprovingly to her for her to be chastised. For our oldest daughter, it was much more difficult. Am I sensitive to the Lord's approval or disapproval?

PRAYER: Jesus, You are always seeking my good. Sometimes that takes the form of correction. I trust You. Make me who You want me to be. Amen.

No comments: