Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A Pure Language

SCRIPTURE: Zephaniah 3:9 "For then I will restore to the peoples a pure language, That they all may call on the name of the Lord, To serve Him with one accord."

OBSERVATION: When it says, "I will restore to the peoples (ethnic groups) a pure (unmixed) language... to serve Him with one accord" it speaks of removing the things that divide and separate. The Tower of Babel separated people through language, and language still separates people today -- not just through foreign languages but also through divisive speech. How we use our tongue either unites or divides.
A 'pure language' is one that unites.

APPLICATION: Do I use my mouth to unite or divide? A pure language that unites is:
  • Encouraging. Words of kindness and affirmation.
  • Inspiring. Words that motivate and build confidence.
  • Healing. Words of forgiveness and restoration.
  • Others-Oriented. Not about myself but about others.
  • Listening. Sometimes the best words are no words but a listening ear.
PRAYER: Lord, teach me to have a pure language. Make my mouth a place of blessing and of unity. Amen.

No comments: