Monday, August 27, 2007

In the Spirit on the Lord's Day

SCRIPTURE: Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet,

OBSERVATION: What a great phrase, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day." It is great to be in the Spirit and what a great day to be in the Spirit -- the Lord's Day! This is a precursor to everything else that takes place in the book of Revelation. John was in the Spirit, and that's when Jesus appeared to him and gave him his revelation. Would this revelation had come to John if he hadn't been in the Spirit honoring the Lord's day? We'll never know, so let's never test it ourselves. All we know is that he was in the Spirit on the Lord's day and he did receive the visitation of the Lord. We also don't fully know what this state is that John is in. But we can focus on what we do know. John was seeking after the Spirit, being filled with the Spirit, mindful of the Spirit.
John was on the island of Patmos, exiled for his faith. Even in dire circumstances, even having suffered for his faith in Christ, Even with no assurances of what his future would hold -- even in those circumstances John was able to do two things: He was in the Spirit and he observed the Lord's Day.
We often find the smallest excuses to explain away why we just can't be in the Spirit or keep the Lord's day:
  • "I can't be in the Spirit when they expect so much of me at work."
  • "I can't be in the Spirit when my home life is so difficult."
  • "I can't keep the Lord's day because that's our family day."
  • "I can't keep the Lord's day because that's my only day to sleep in."
All of these things look pretty pale in comparison to John's circumstances. The good news: No matter what I can still be in the Spirit and keep the Lord's day.

APPLICATION: Don't become distracted. No matter what I may 'suffer,' no matter what others may do, I can still be in the Spirit and keep the Lord's day.
  • Begin with prayer. Ask the Lord to fill me with His Spirit. He says He will if I ask.
  • Be open to revelation. He wants to reveal things to me if only I'm open.
  • End excuses. There is nothing or no one keeping me from the Spirit of God.

PRAYER: Alpha and Omega, Lord I have not yet had to suffer hardships like John and many others have had to face. I want to be ready so that, in any circumstance, my devotion to You only grows and grows. That is true right now Jesus, fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Speak to me. Reveal truth to me. Amen.

No comments: