Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Truth Doesn't Change

SCRIPTURE: Jeremiah 38:14 Then Zedekiah the king sent and had Jeremiah the prophet brought to him at the third entrance of the house of the Lord. And the king said to Jeremiah, "I will ask you something. Hide nothing from me."

OBSERVATION: King Zedekiah just didn't get it. He kept asking Jeremiah the same question, hoping for a different answer. But the truth doesn't change. Jeremiah told him very plainly that the city was going to be taken by the king of Babylon, per God's plan. Zedekiah didn't like that answer. Jeremiah told him if he resisted God's plan that Zedekiah and his family would be destroyed. He didn't like that answer either. He was hoping Jeremiah's message would change. Maybe prison and mistreatment and the threat of death would change the message. Nope. The message didn't change. Truth doesn't change.

APPLICATION: Jeremiah was faithful to speak God's message of truth even when it was unpopular or even brought punishment to him. Truth doesn't change.
Application of this passage breaks down to two main areas: receiving truth and delivering truth.

  • When I receive truth from God, do I negotiate like Zedekiah or accept it as the sovereign plan of God? There are plenty of people who wan tot hear truth, but only if it agrees with their ideas and their life. Selective acceptance of God's word is a form of manipulation. A common form.
  • Am I willing to deliver truth from God no matter what the consequences? What if it is unpopular? What if it is not received? What if it makes people think less of me? What if it costs me in some way? Jeremiah was a faithful messenger. Am I?
PRAYER: Father, I don't like unpopular messages, just like anyone else. I will value truth over popularity. I want to hear Your words, "Well done, good and faithful servant." Amen.

No comments: