Monday, August 6, 2007

Mercy Me!

SCRIPTURE: Habakkuk 3:2 O Lord, I have heard Your speech and was afraid; O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years! In the midst of the years make it known; In wrath remember mercy.

OBSERVATION: When a wrong has been committed there are two possible responses of the offended party:
  • Wrath. Exacting punishment and payment. Righteous indignation. Demanding justice.

  • Mercy. Extending kindness and forgiveness.

Habakkuk is saying, "Wrath is warranted, but consider giving mercy instead."

APPLICATION: Do I rush toward wrath or extend mercy to others? Remember these two things:
1- The only time that mercy can be shown is when wrath is due.
2- Whenever wrath is warranted, mercy is always an option.
"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy." (Matthew 5:7)

PRAYER: Jesus, I remember today the mercy that you have shown me. In large and small ways, I want to show mercy. make me more aware of ways in which I can show mercy to others.

No comments: