Monday, October 15, 2007

Where Is God's Honor?

SCRIPTURE: Malachi 1:6 "A son honors his father, And a servant his master. If then I am the Father, Where is My honor? And if I am a Master, Where is My reverence? Says the Lord of hosts To you priests who despise My name. Yet you say, ‘In what way have we despised Your name?’

OBSERVATION: God is due honor and God deserves reverence, far beyond anyone else on the earth. Where is His honor? Where is His reverence? We have lost the reverence for God in the emphasis of grace and approachability. Hebrews 12:31 says, "Our God is a consuming fire." It does not say, "Our God was a consuming fire." Not 'was,' back in the Old Testament, but 'is,' right now. How do I regain and show to God, my Father and my Master, honor and reverence that He is due?

APPLICATION: I don't know. This will take some extended, prayerful though. It begins with an attitude of reverence and honor. His grace may shield me from the consuming fire of His presence, but He is still a consuming fire. The very fact that I am able to come near, in spite of His consuming presence, just makes His grace all the more amazing. Similar to Moses getting a glimpse of God when he was held in the cleft of a rock but even greater, He has made a way for me to be near to Him. He is still a consuming fire and worthy of honor and reverence.

PRAYER: Father and Master, give me an undivided heart. Give me insight to know how to approach You as a friend but with honor and reverence.

No comments: