Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Is It Useless to Serve God?

SCRIPTURE: Malachi 3:13-14 "Your words have been harsh against Me," Says the Lord, Yet you say, ‘What have we spoken against You?’ You have said, ‘It is useless to serve God; What profit is it that we have kept His ordinance, And that we have walked as mourners Before the Lord of hosts?

OBSERVATION: The people were being harsh with God in ways that they were totally oblivious to. Their thoughts and their words were derogatory and they didn't even realize it. When they heard this charge by the Lord they probably thought, "Oh, yeah. I did say that..." A greater sensitivity to God, a greater awareness of my thoughts and words would be appropriate.
Then there is the complaint itself: "It is useless to serve God; what profit is it?" These words were recorded in the days of Malachi (though certainly not new with that day), about 2,500 years ago. But they are current today, too. "What good does it do me to live for God?" I have heard these words myself. I think that most people who say them don't even think of it as an accusation or a slur against God, but it is.
It is the wrong question to ask on many levels:
  • The timing level. Serving God is not for benefit in this life but in the next. Jesus said not to be satisfied with your reward here and now but desire instead a heavenly reward (Matthew 6:1, among other verses). Hebrews 11 tells us that being people of faith means neglecting comfort here for the comfort of a heavenly city, whose architect and builder is God. Like the prodigal son, we too often say, "Father, give me my inheritance now!"
  • The gratitude level. This question also reveals the lack of appreciation that many people have towards God. Like spoiled children, we fail to understand and appreciate the many things that God does for us. He created me. He sustains me. He provides for me. He brings people and things into my life that gives me joy. he puts beauty in the world all around me. In serving Him, I have the benefit and the confidence of eternal life. Death no longer holds dread and fear to me. I have been around enough death beds and funerals to know what a huge blessing that is. He gives me purpose. I would be wise to be appreciative of all these things, and many more.
  • The serving level. There is a contradiction within the very question, "It is useless to serve God; what profit is it?" Real servants don't talk that way. Who is the servant and who is the master? You don't serve someone for your profit and benefit but for theirs. The master doesn't justify himself to the servant, but the servant to the master. Jesus talked about a servant who worked all day in the field, came home and fixed his master's supper and still beat his breast saying, "I am an unprofitable servant, because I have only done what is required of me." That may seem excessive, but that is the heart of a servant.
APPLICATION: I'm sure there are many other levels, too. But that gives me something to work with. Those three things speak of: faith, gratitude, and humility. That is the antidote for this accusation against God.
  • How is my faith? Do I live for the here and now, for present rewards, or for eternity? Am I willing to store up treasures in heaven and forgo them on earth?
  • How is my gratitude? Do I recognize and appreciate the many, many, many things that God does for me in life?
  • How is my humility? Very clearly we know that God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. What does God owe me, really? I don't want what I am owed because it would be pretty.
PRAYER: Master, You are so good to me! How can I ever thank You for all that You have done for me? Thank You for every reward that is withheld from me now to be received later in heaven with You. Amen.

No comments: