Saturday, October 6, 2007

It's Not About Fairness

SCRIPTURE: Luke 19:24-25 "And he said to those who stood by, Take the mina from him, and give it to him who has ten minas. (But they said to him, Master, he has ten minas.)

OBSERVATION: Just a reminder of how self-focused, need-focused, fairness-focused we are and how it gets in the way. When I am need-focused then God (the 'Master') is here to meet my needs. He's working for me. The man with ten minas didn't need another one, so why take it from the guy who has none, who needs it, and give it to the guy who doesn't need it? It isn't fair.
But that thinking betrays 'a-God-who-serves-our-agenda-and-our-needs' kind of thinking. The right thinking is that I am here to serve God. Everything belongs to Him, He owes me nothing and doesn't have to meet my need or be fair.
From this point of view, the decision is an obvious one. The guy who successfully handled ten minas can be trusted with one more. He has shown himself faithful and is committed, not to his own personal comfort and safety, but to the expansion of the Master's kingdom. He can be trusted and can handle it. He is the perfect choice to manage the mina.

APPLICATION: I realize from this parable and my reaction to it how man-centered I am in my thinking and evaluations. I need to be more God-centered. Not what would be more beneficial for us, but what is more beneficial for Him. Not worshipping the created, but worshipping the Creator.

PRAYER: Master, everything is from You and for You. I am all for You. Amen.

No comments: