Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Escaped by Grace

SCRIPTURE: Nehemiah 1:2 that Hanani one of my brethren came with men from Judah; and I asked them concerning the Jews who had escaped, who had survived the captivity, and concerning Jerusalem.

OBSERVATION: I noticed something interesting but still puzzling, so I can't make any certain inferences from it. I noticed that Nehemiah used the word 'escaped' -- "the Jews who had escaped..." I am pretty sure that he is talking about the Jews who were part of the captivity ("who survived the captivity") and who responded to King Darius' decree to go back and rebuild Jerusalem. That would be Zerrubabel and his gang. If this is true, it is a curious use of this word 'escape.' Escape here would not be to plan and execute some kind of escape plan on your own against the will of the governing authorities, like tunneling out of a cell using spoons smuggled from the prison cafeteria. It is choosing the escape route provided for you, an invitation, to move into your freedom. The king made it possible for anyone to go. In fact, he encouraged it and provided resources for it. Those who accepted his offer and his resources were the ones who 'escaped.'

APPLICATION: The application to the gospel message is obvious. Those who 'escape' from sin and the captivity of sin don't sneak out or break out on their own. They walk confidently out the front door because the King said they could. He gives the invitation. He issues the decree. He provides the needed resources. Our escape is through an open door of grace. We are invited to leave the captivity of sin and darkness and escape into freedom and hope.
I am an escapee of grace!

PRAYER: Jesus, You are the Captain of our Salvation (Hebrews 2:10). You made a way and gave invitation. My escape is because of You. As an escapee, I want to help others escape, too. The way has been made and the invitation given. Give me wisdom to share with others for their escape. Amen.

No comments: