Friday, July 27, 2007

Spiritual Diagnosis

SCRIPTURE - 2 Peter 1:9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

OBSERVATION - "These things" spoken of in this verse are: faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. The lack of these things in a believer's life shows two things: spiritual shortsightedness and spiritual amnesia.
  • Shortsighted. When I become shortsighted my vision of anthing that is a distance away fades and fades until all I can see are things that are very close to me. Spiritual shortsightedness means I first lose sight of eternity and see only the present. Then I lose sight of anyone else and can see only me and things that affect me. It's all about me. If my vision continues to draw in, ultimately it can leave me spiritually blind, unable to discern any truth.
  • Amnesia. The lack of these characteristics in my life also shows a sort of spiritual amnesia, from which many Christians suffer. Remember what Jesus saved me from. Remember the forgiveness that He has extended to me. Remember that, though undeserving, He paid the price for me. Remember how I received much more than I deserved. That lingering memory will produce in me the things listed: faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love.

APPLICATION - Live everyday, today in fact, with a strong view outward: forward to eternity, outward to other people, and backward to my salvation. That outward vision and clear memory of all He has done for me will produce spiritual character and health.

PRAYER - Jesus, in this verse I have seen the symptoms of healthy spiritual vision and healthy spiritual memory. I desire to exhibit these symptoms in my life more and more. I don't want to be shortsighted or blind, spiritually. I don't want to be forgetful. Improve my outward vision. Improve my memory and the freshness of my salvation. Produce Your character in me. Amen.

No comments: