Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Children of Promise

SCRIPTURE: Galatians 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.

OBSERVATION: In many ways my story, as one who has received salvation, mirrors the story of Isaac's birth.
  • Isaac's birth was a physical impossibility. Not an improbability. Abraham was past childbearing age and Sarah's womb was barren. Repeated failure testified to its impossiblity. My salvation was a physical impossiblity. My repeated failure testified to the fact.
  • God did what He said He would do. God had spoken to Abraham about giving him a son, and He did. Many prophecies said that God would send the Messiah to bring salvation, adn He did.
  • Isaac brought laughter. (His name means 'laughter.') Salvation brings joy.
  • To Isaac was given the inheritance. He received everything that God had promised. He didn't get a small portion, but all of the inheritance. Scripture also says there is an inheritance for me. (Though there is, even to this day, a battle being waged for that inheritance.)

APPLICATION: In order to address the Galatians moving into error, Paul goes back to the foundational truths about salvation. When I get mixed up, or tempted, or down, it is good for me to go back to these same truths.

  • My salvation is the result of promise, not performance.
  • God is patient and persistent in fulfilling His Word.
  • Salvation and joy go hand in hand. Where's my joy?
  • I have a full inheritance!
PRAYER: Father, If I could only keep these things always before me, I suppose that things would be a lot smoother. It's not about what I deserve but about what you have done. Give me clarity of mind and clarity of Spirit to understand living for you. Amen

1 comment:

Drummer Chris said...

Where've you been? You OK?